Nothing can replace a healthy diet and exercise when it comes to weight loss, and all your weight loss efforts should be built around these two basics. However, a lot of factors help to provide that extra boost when the rate at which you are shedding weight becomes slow. Since our physical movement outside the house is limited right now due to the current situation, it’s easier for the body to pile on calories, and in this scenario, these hacks will help you lose weight while you are sitting at home, without access to the gym or parks.
1. Boost your Metabolism: The biggest key to losing weight is by speeding one’s metabolism. A sluggish metabolism is the reason why most people find it extremely difficult to burn fat. The most effective way to have a healthy metabolism is by eating clean and exercising regularly. With wrong dietary choices, sedentary lifestyle, increased stress, lack of sleep, the slump in metabolism takes place. Here are 9 Ways to Speed up Metabolism
2. Lower the Temperature on AC: Research has found that short-term cold exposure helps to burn brown fat in the body, which is needed to maintain thermogenesis and regulation of body temperature. Brown fat burning gets activated upon exposure to cold for a short time. When brown fat burns calories, it also results in reduction of insulin resistance, and regulation of appetite. Try to sleep in comfy clothes at night and with the AC switched on to activate brown fat burning ?
3. Try these Exercises: Basic bodyweight exercises like pushups, squats, lunges engage large muscle groups in the body and burn considerable amount of calories even with a few reps. Apart from these, we can easily perform planks, jumping jacks, spot jogging and also yoga to stay active and lose weight.
4. Reduce Stress Level: Easier said than done, stress also plays a major role in weight loss. When you cannot keep a tab over stress, it can cause a lot of damage to the body. Increased stress levels also increase the production of hunger hormone “ghrelin” since it acts to lower stress and that explains why most people tend to overeat when they are stressed out or even just anxious. Burn the stress off by working out, listening to music, yoga, pursuing new hobbies, or just taking a stroll with your pet.
5. Chew Slowly: People who eat quickly and at a fast pace are usually putting their health at risk and also tend to gain weight compared to those who take their sweet time chewing slowly. When you eat too fast, your brain doesn’t get the signal to stop once you are full. This means that you often eat more than you actually require. Another interesting fact is that the brain takes about 20 minutes to register that you have eaten food and by slowing down, you can actually reach satiation point during the eating process itself and stop yourself from piling on extra pounds. When you are a slow eater, you take a good 20 to 25 minutes to finish your meal, this keeps you full for a longer time and it helps in putting away unhealthy snacks from your day-to-day schedule. When we are extremely hungry, we tend to eat unhealthy snacks, but by chewing slowly, you will keep this problem at bay.
6. Spot Hidden Sugar: A lot of companies tend to add sugar (and loads of them) to add taste to their packaged food. Sauces, jams, chips, and even salad dressings have a good amount of sugar and the problem is we keep on snacking on such things through the day, piling up extra calories that our body is unable to burn off in a day. These extra calories get stored as fat in the body. Though we make a conscious effort to cut down refined sugar from the diet, we hardly pay attention to the ingredients list of packaged goodies. Particularly, artificial sweeteners are widely used in “sugar-free” products – some of the common ones that you should avoid are aspartame, acesulfame-K, saccharin, sucralose, neotame, and advantame.
7. Spices to burn fat: Spices are quite necessary to bring out the best taste of your food. However, spices can also promote weight loss by boosting your metabolism. Thus, it helps you in shedding a few pounds by burning the fat cells at a faster rate. Here is a list of 8 such spices that would happily assist you in the weight loss process.
8. Sleep well for at least 7 hours: You can workout like crazy and have literally no food during the day, but if you haven’t slept for 7 straight hours, your metabolism will ebb to its lowest and it will lower the pace at which body burns fat. Sleep tight for at least 7 hours each night to keep metabolism active and burn calories.
9. Follow Rati Beauty Weight Loss Programs: Lose weight the healthy way and without compromising on nutrition or health by following Rati Beauty Weight Loss program by subscribing to the Rati Beauty app.
10. Perform NEAT activities through the Day: Abbreviated as NEAT, it is the energy we use for everything we do in our day-to-day life except for when we are sleeping or exercising. Using the stairs instead of the lift, squatting on the floor to lift something up, walking while talking on the phone, every activity we do while being on our feet, comes under NEAT. All these activities help to burn some amount of calories and these bits of calories spent here and there, add up to a considerable amount when you are trying to lose weight. Here’s how you can burn calories with NEAT activities.
11. Snack on nuts and seeds: Rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, unsaturated fats, and omega-3 fatty acids, nuts such as almonds and walnuts that boost metabolism and fasten up the fat burning process.
12. Keep High-Calorie Junk Food out of Sight: Do not keep high-calorie food stuff in the kitchen or in your house where you can reach out for them when you are bored and not really hungry! Out of sight can definitely out of mind here.
13. Eat These Foods to Boost the Fat-Burning Hormone “Adiponectin”: Researchers have found out that apart from leptin, there’s another hormone called “adiponectin,” that helps in burning of fat by a considerable degree. Food sources rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as nuts, olive oil, fish oil, avocados boost the levels of this hormone to a great degree. Include them in your diet and lose weight at home effortlessly.
14. Switch to traditional Indian breakfasts: Instead of eating packaged cereals that come loaded with calories and sugar which eventually lead to weight gain, switch to healthy and nutritious Indian breakfast options such as idli, dosa, dhokla, etc., which are not filling, they keep the gut healthy and provide ample nutrition to the body.
15. Eat from a bowl/not a plate: When you eat from a bowl instead of a big plate, the brain gets tricked into believing that you have had a lot of food and it’s a good hack to limit calorie intake per meal. Pick a bowl and ditch the plate.
20 Ways to Control Hunger Hormone Ghrelin to Lose Weight
How To Burn Calories with Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis