Shea butter, aloe vera, jojoba oil, hyaluronic acid are skincare ingredients that people with dry skin absolutely love because they help soothe flaky and stretchy skin and add loads of hydration to moisture-less skin. However, it would be better to be aware of ingredients that are commonly found skincare products to keep the softness and suppleness of dry ski intact, and here’s a list of 7 of them to avoid if you have dry skin:
1. Alcohol-Based Toners: Alcohol in skincare is your worst enemy because it will further dry out your skin. Always check the list of ingredients because lesser the alcohol, lesser would be your dry skin woes.
2. Benzoyl Peroxide: We understand that even dry skin can get acne and breakouts, but benzoyl peroxide, which is a common anti-acne ingredient may not be for your skin since a majority of people experience dryness, flaking and peeling with regular use.
4. Artificial Color: Companies add permitted colors to their skincare ingredients to make it more appealing to their consumers; however, just like added fragrance, artificial colors may lead to irritation, itchiness, and dryness on some skin types, including on dry skin.
5. Parabens: It’s a very common preservative found in nearly every kind of beauty or cosmetic product. Why it should be avoided? Parabens are thought to mimic hormones like estrogen, which can cause hormone imbalances, reproductive issues and potentially cause certain cancers. It is most commonly found as methylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben, in skincare.
6. Retinoid: While retinoids and retinol are considered as star ingredients for smooth and soft skin, it would be better to consult a dermatologist than picking them over the counter, especially when it comes to dry skin because retinoids can aggravate dryness, peeling, redness. Though retinol works for all skin types, it’s always better to take the advise of your doctor before application.
7. Emulsifiers: They are used to mix together ingredients that would otherwise separate, and have been found to modify the skin barrier, making skin tight and stretchy. If you have been noticing excessive after cleansing, check the product for the presence of emulsifiers.
Some Additional Tips for Dry Skin:
1. Minimize your use of soaps and harsh cleansers. Switch to soap-free formulas or better, use natural ways to clean your face.
2. Apply the moisturizer when your skin is still moist to lock in the moisture.
3. Try this homemade Grapes Essence Face Mask to Treat Dry Skin.
4. Pat dry your skin, never rub it. Avoid using harsh towels to wipe your face.
5. Last but not the least, moisturize, moisturize, and moisturize some more. Never skip a moisturizer!
7 Best BB Creams for Dry Skin
Tomato Face Pack for Dry Skin